Saturday, December 8, 2007

It's Official!

Today was finally our last day in Kombo! We swore in yesterday and everything went smoothly. Last night the other agfo volunteers threw us a party. It was great fun. It started pretty mellow and then we ended dancing at a club called Aquarius.

We spent almost all day today shopping. We went out with the LCHs and our re-adjustment money and bought all sorts of things. This includes gas stoves, mattresses, pots, bolwls, cups, blankets, chairs, radios, rope, hammers...to name a few. It was a very busy day. We said goodbye to the LCHs and I have to admit, saying bye to Baabukar was really hard. That man is amazing. It took all of my will not to shed a few tears. In the early evening a few of us made it to the beach for the last time. This obviously included a stop at Gam Juice and picking up some amazingly delicious treats. I have to say, wonjo and tamarind are my favorites...I don't care what Buya says about the ginger, it's just too damn spicy. The beach was awesome, as usual. the waves are crazy, though. Yesterday was particularly wild. I had never experienced waves like that. As Alicia observed yesterday, we may be good swimmers, but the ocean is a better swimmer than us. Today was not as crazy but still a lot of fun. We watched the sun set (blaaahhh) and then went back to the PC transit house, the Stodge. After a quick shower and a few announcements we went out for our last dinner. What did we eat? Burgers! They were delicious. Afterwards we went to a pork bar for a beer. Luckily we decided earlier not to eat at the pork bar. I say luckily because we would have been disappointed; they were out of pork!

I head out in the morning for village. On the way I'll pick up some kerosene for my lamp, a sila fonda gift for my family, and a bamboo bed in Wassu. I am very excited to get back to village. Kombo is fun for some time, but it is so stressful. It is tourist season now also so people think we're all tourists. They are blown away in the market when I speak Pulaar because only people from way up-country can speak Pulaar. Then they know I'm not a tourist. When I leave tomorrow I won't be back in Kombo til March. We are spending Christmas at Alicia's site (who I mentioned earlier). We're going to smoke some rabbit and just have a dandy 'ol time. I will also have my puppy by then!

'Til next year!

1 comment:

ReallyBadPeter said...

I hope Naude is treating you well. I was the last one to live there. If you have any questions, feel free to email me. I noticed the remnants of the chicken house are still in the kama. I had the fence and the sticks for the roof, but it never got finished. Cell reception is best next to the donkey charley behind the compound and up on the rock pile across the road. The horse and donkey project was something I started, but don't know what ever happened with it. Lots of people built the proper donkey houses and I'm sure they are waiting. If Funeh is around, she likes to upset people in the village. Enjoy things up there - you are in one of the most remote places in the country.